AstroImager 3.0 (231)

Everything else...
Peter Polakovic

Re: AstroImager 3.0 (231)

Postby Peter Polakovic » Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:54 pm

Pls. can you try to set log level to debug and try such capture? You can find it on Prefs->INDIGO tab. Once done, save log by menu Control->Save log.

Maybe it is related to firmware version or something like this. We have couple of customers using ASI1600MC-COOL but nobody reported this issue yet. Peter

anofeles

Postby anofeles » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:36 pm

I'll try next time. Thanks, Peter.
Carlos.

anofeles

Postby anofeles » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:27 am

Two more crashes two nights ago...
See attached item.

Curiously, I didn't have any lags like other times when I took endless shots to focus. I begin to suspect that it has something to do with the ASI 120 being connected to the ASI 1600's own hub or directly connected to a USB port on the computer....

Sorry, I don't have the debug file, I forgot to save it...
Let's see if I remember you next time.
Greetings....
Carlos.

Pd. This was supposed to be a personal message, but it doesn't support the zip extension for attachments.... :/
Attachments
AI_crash_7_10.zip
(41.64 KiB) Downloaded 1 time

Peter Polakovic

Postby Peter Polakovic » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:47 am

Hi Carlos,

I begin to suspect that it has something to do with the ASI 120 being connected to the ASI 1600's own hub or directly connected to a USB port on the computer....

This may have a sense. I'll forward it to Rumen, he can try it.

Thank you for the logs, Peter

Peter Polakovic

Postby Peter Polakovic » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:58 am

Hi Carlos, I asked ZWO and the recommendation is to reduce USB bandwidth. What settings do you use on the cameras? Peter

anofeles

Postby anofeles » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:41 pm

Peter Polakovic wrote:Hi Carlos, I asked ZWO and the recommendation is to reduce USB bandwidth. What settings do you use on the cameras? Peter

Good night, Peter.
I use the default value for bandwidth, 80. I've tried to change it from advanced properties, but when I change the value, the number I enter is in red instead of black and won't let me change it. Neither increasing nor decreasing it...
I have also confirmed that the delay between shots comes when I connect the ASI 120 to the ASI 1600's own hub. It happened to me again last night. When he did, I choose "no camera" in AG and no tracking device. The mistake went on. Only when I closed AG did AI function properly again.
This time I did remember to save the log.
Greetings....
Attachments
log2.txt.zip
(31.11 KiB) Downloaded 1 time

Peter Polakovic

Postby Peter Polakovic » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:26 am

Hi Carlos,

if you have 80 both on 1600 and 120 it is probably too much (it is usage in % so it should be probably under 100 in total).

If number is red it means, that it is modified. You have to click Save button, which is accidentally disabled in build 279, so please try build 280:

http://download.cloudmakers.eu/AstroImager_3.0_280.dmg

Once value is set, click also "Save" in Configuration control in Main group to make changes permanent.

Peter

Moody

Postby Moody » Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:32 am

Hi Peter,

I decided to harass you on the forums rather than email!

I updated AI to 3.0 and I am quite excited to see if the "upload" portion of plate solving is faster (it can solve for me in a matter of seconds, but the upload, for some reason in the previous version, takes quite a long time...

Anyway, I happened to upgrade from a Canon T6 to a 77D right before I downloaded the update, so I did not get a chance to try the new 77D on the old version (The T6 banding issue with the hybrid sensor was ruining every nights' work).

I am having a lot of issues making the new camera cooperate with AI. For instance, when I want to save a raw file to a folder, only occasionally can I get it to save something to the selected folder, but usually nothing. I've tried various raw, jpeg, whatever. Previously, it saved both a CR2 for pixinsight and whatever the normal Canon choice was simultaneously each photo. Another example: the capture a single frame or multiple frame options don't use a full length bulb exposure. (HOWEVER: they do on the camera itself)

Assuming, perhaps, it was that the camera is not yet supported- I attached the T6 that I still have. Same issues, unfortunately. So I have to ask:

1. Is the 77D supported? (before I pull my hair out troubleshooting different options?) If so, I'll keep trying to tweak things to make it work.
2. Am I missing some obvious setting that's not letting me do things- i.e., the T6 cannot save captures into a folder reliably either.
3. Unrelated, I have a major issue with AstroTelescope quietly crashing - which, of course, creates a cascade of issues during a night if I don't notice (guider doesn't update, etc.) a) is there a way I can report such incidents if they aren't really "crashes" to help out? b) I think it may be related to the fact that I'm using a SkyFi connection that occasionally drops (a lot of wifi in the area when I'm testing equipment.

I hope I'm not just missing something silly, so I, naturally, will keep working on it (e.g., making sure I have the right drivers). Hopefully something comes to mind.

Peter Polakovic

Postby Peter Polakovic » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:10 pm

Hi Reed!

Moody wrote: I updated AI to 3.0 and I am quite excited to see if the "upload" portion of plate solving is faster (it can solve for me in a matter of seconds, but the upload, for some reason in the previous version, takes quite a long time...

It is hard to make upload faster, but you can either use binning (it doesn't affect precision too much but is much faster) or even better to install Astrometry for OSX:

http://cloudmakers.eu/astrometry/

Moody wrote:Anyway, I happened to upgrade from a Canon T6 to a 77D right before I downloaded the update, so I did not get a chance to try the new 77D on the old version (The T6 banding issue with the hybrid sensor was ruining every nights' work).

I am having a lot of issues making the new camera cooperate with AI. For instance, when I want to save a raw file to a folder, only occasionally can I get it to save something to the selected folder, but usually nothing. I've tried various raw, jpeg, whatever. Previously, it saved both a CR2 for pixinsight and whatever the normal Canon choice was simultaneously each photo. Another example: the capture a single frame or multiple frame options don't use a full length bulb exposure. (HOWEVER: they do on the camera itself)

Assuming, perhaps, it was that the camera is not yet supported- I attached the T6 that I still have. Same issues, unfortunately. So I have to ask:

1. Is the 77D supported? (before I pull my hair out troubleshooting different options?) If so, I'll keep trying to tweak things to make it work.
2. Am I missing some obvious setting that's not letting me do things- i.e., the T6 cannot save captures into a folder reliably either.

AstroDSLR 3.0 uses different approach than previous version. It contains no Canon or Nikon SDK (it was really unstable and recent OSX versions are not supported at all) and uses generic ImageCapture API with PTP passthrough. Thus there are no strictly unsupported cameras, just cameras that work better or worse with implemented part of Canon, Nikon or Sony PTP extensions. We don't have specific experience with T6 or 77D, but it should work. It it doesn't first try to upgrade to the most current beta (some bugs are fixed):

http://download.cloudmakers.eu/AstroDSLR_3.1_274.dmg

If it will not help, try to set log level to "debug" (on Preferences > INDI tab) and repeat the operation. It will produce a lot of debug output to the lower panel in main window, you can save it (menu Control > Save Log) and send it to me to check what's wrong.

Moody wrote:3. Unrelated, I have a major issue with AstroTelescope quietly crashing - which, of course, creates a cascade of issues during a night if I don't notice (guider doesn't update, etc.) a) is there a way I can report such incidents if they aren't really "crashes" to help out? b) I think it may be related to the fact that I'm using a SkyFi connection that occasionally drops (a lot of wifi in the area when I'm testing equipment.

I hope I'm not just missing something silly, so I, naturally, will keep working on it (e.g., making sure I have the right drivers). Hopefully something comes to mind.

Even if it is not a real crash, something should be reported to system console (/Applications/Utilities/Console). It may be failed assertion somewhere in 3rd party libraries etc.

Anyway, AstroTelescope crash should not affect other applications. I use it at the beginning to point the mount (and plate solving, syncing, etc.), but during imaging itself it just consumes computer resources (computing and drawing the star map etc.). It is probably the same with any other similar software, not just AstroTelescope, you don't need it. The less software runs during imaging, the less problems you may have :)

Regards, Peter

Moody

Postby Moody » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:34 pm

Thanks for the quick response!

I am fairly sure the problems are on my end, and hate to waste your time, I am including the logs of the current issues to eliminate AI as a suspect/narrow in on my problems. Currently:

1. It (AI) will only save in JPEG (but is saving in the selected folder now!(I think that was a Canon setting))

2. There is zero bulb OR shutter control. AI will initiate a photograph on the selected settings but it's always a quick shutter. Interestingly, the settings edited in AI are adjusted on the camera itself (and images are saved with the proper exposure encoding).

3. (When not in debug mode) the warning AI gives in the status box is always this:

11:30:07.810 INDIGO Service AstroDSLR is ready to publish
11:30:08.016 INDIGO Service AstroDSLR was removed

It should also be noted that bulb control works under the EOS software.

I have astrometry- works like a charm now!
Attachments
nobulbcontrol77d.txt.zip
(2.15 KiB) Downloaded 1 time

Return to “General Discussion”