AstroGuider Calibration

Everything else...
JayKay

AstroGuider Calibration

Post by JayKay » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:06 pm

As I am indoors (and with no easy means to test under dark skies at the moment) I am trying to understand what I should expect to see on-screen during the guider calibration process. Is it similar to PHD's calibration process where you select one of the stars in the field and AstroGuider maps the error in the RA and DEC? And then once it has mapped it, you can begin to guide? There is nothing in the online manual to describe this.

Thanks,

Jim

Peter Polakovic

Re: AstroGuider Calibration

Post by Peter Polakovic » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:41 pm

Yes, it is very similar to PHD calibration process. BTW, you can enable simulator driver and try it (use CCD simulator for both CCD and guider).

Start preview, select some good star and start calibration. Angle, speed and backlash is detected automatically. The only manual setting is calibration step. You can start with default value and in case mount will not move enough, you can increase it.

Once calibration is finished, it will start guiding immediately. You can try to play with aggressivity sliders to make it as smooth as possible. Less correction is always better. If seeing is bad, you can try to increase number of stacked images in preferences (3-5 is a good start).

Regards, Peter

JayKay

Post by JayKay » Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:26 am

Thank you Peter.

JayKay

Post by JayKay » Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:12 am

Perhaps this should be painfully obvious but I tried the CCD simulation (remember, I am indoors) in AstroGuider but got no results as far as I can tell. As for setup, I chose the CCD simulator in the left hand panel and tried both EQMac and CCD Simulator in the right hand panel. The calibrate button remained greyed out. The only button available was "preview".

I assume as this is a simulation that AstroGuider is providing a fake sky with fake stars in the image window and going through a fake calibration process, correct? My window was simply black (or grainy if I clicked the auto button between black point and white point)

What did I do wrong?

Jim

Peter Polakovic

Post by Peter Polakovic » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:08 am

Jim,

you have to select CCD Simulation on both left and right side (it is simulation of camera ST4 port and it affect the image returned by the simulator). Calibrate button will became enabled once you select a guiding star.

To see stars on the image you have to stretch it, the easiest way is to press Auto button between black and white point sliders. You should see 5 stars, select any of them.

It should look like this...
Screen Shot 2017-07-31 at 09.06.54.jpg
Screen Shot 2017-07-31 at 09.06.54.jpg (232.01 KiB) Viewed 111 times
Peter

JayKay

Post by JayKay » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:00 pm

I got it to work Peter. Thanks for the picture and explanation.

Jim