ASTRODSLR Sony A7 II bulb exposure problem

Everything else...
Peter Polakovic

Re: ASTRODSLR Sony A7 II bulb exposure problem

Post by Peter Polakovic » Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:50 pm

Hi Mauro,

thank you for your report. Toggle zoom in preview is disabled, because Sony Alpha doesn't support preview (= live view) at all over PTP/USB, so that's correct. But sequencer issue looks like a bug, I'll check it.

Regards, Peter

Peter Polakovic

Post by Peter Polakovic » Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:37 pm

Mauro, pls. can you try this one? I believe I fixed it (and tested with 7RII):

http://download.cloudmakers.eu/AstroDSLR_3.1_289.dmg

Peter

maurogh

Post by maurogh » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:39 pm

Hi Peter,

thanks for the newer version. I tested the program with the same sequence shown in my previous post and now, with bulb setting, it seemed to work well: all the events of the sequence are executed correctly as regards the exposition time even if sometime the exposition time (read on the camera display and also in the .arw file header) results shorter of 1 sec from that set in the sequencer, but this is not a big isse, especially for longer astronomical exposures.
There are, however, two more relevant issues in the sequencer. FIRST: the ISO value does not change among the sequence events, if required as in my example. Whatever is the ISO value initially set on the camera or in the main ASTRODSLR window, the sequencer change it to the correct value before to start the first event. But passing to the following events the ISO remains the same of the first one (this is confirmed also by the .arw files headers). This happen also for all subsequent events of the sequence. SECOND: Using exposition times under 30" (not with bulb, but setting the time directly) only the first event is executed.
Hope these information are useful to make better an already great program.

Regards

Mauro

Peter Polakovic

Post by Peter Polakovic » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:55 pm

Thank you Mauro, I'll look at it. Peter

Peter Polakovic

Post by Peter Polakovic » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:12 pm

Mauro, I tested these issues and I think they are related. The problem is, that with Sony camera you can set some values directly, just sequentially and it takes some time. If you will start exposure before target value is really set (you can see it on camera display), the situation you described really happen (only the first exposure is executed). The only you can do in that situation is to switch off and on camera to get it to predictable state. Peter

maurogh

Post by maurogh » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:27 pm

Thank you Peter,

I understand the problem and imagine that, at the moment, there is no solution. Fortunately the kind of sequencing that most frequently the astrophotographers use (many frames at BULB with the same ISO) works well in ASTRODSLR and we must be happy with this.
Thanks again and regards.

Mauro