ZWO ASI 2.0

Everything else...
anofeles

ZWO ASI 2.0

Post by anofeles » Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:07 am

Hello everybody... please, excuse my english. I'm Spanish...

Well, first of all, I would like to thank Cloudmakers (Peter and Eva) for developing astronomic software for OSX an iOS. You are a breath of fresh air with a very affordable prize. Thank you very much.
I have downloaded your trial soft for testing on my setup. I tested my ZWO 224 cooled (usb 3.0) with your astroguider. It works fine with the camera, fast calibrating, fine guiding, a clear interface, no problem with meridian flip...
My problem is that this camera, obviously, isn't my guiding camera, it's my imaging camera. For guiding I have a ZWO 120 MM... with usb 2.0. I know that other OSX soft like nebulosity have drivers for usb 2.0 ZWO ASI cameras. My question is about if you have in your to do list include this drivers...
On the other hand, I have downloaded from indi web page the last package of drivers (1.2.0) that appear to include this drivers in it. I got a tar file, decompress it but I don't know how to add the driver to your indi server or indi control panel...

Setup:
MBpro with 10.9.5 OSX
LXD75 Mount
Cameras: ZWO ASI 224 cooled and 120MM, Nikon D80 and Canon 450 modified and cooled.

Pd. Canon works fine too. I will test my Nikon next weekend if weather permitting. Mount is waiting for a new usb-serial converter. The old one doesn't seem to work...

Thanks in advance for your attention

Peter Polakovic

Re: ZWO ASI 2.0

Post by Peter Polakovic » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:17 am

Hello, welcome and thank you :)

The driver is included, the only problem with USB 2.0 version of 120MM is, that some of them doesn't work with some of USB host controllers on some Macs (it is hardware issue). But feel free to try it, if it works with Nebulosity, it will probably work with our software as well. If it will work, it will work also with built-in ASI driver in AstroImager or AstroGuider, you don't need INDI at all, the drivers are based on the same SDK by ZWO. You just need to connect the camera before AstroGuider is started, but it is the same with INDI, ZWO SDK doesn't support hot plug :(

If you want to use INDI for some reasons, you can download complete OSX port including all available drivers and GUI from our web: http://www.cloudmakers.eu/indiserver/ TAR you downloaded is probably some Linux or source code, OSX version is distributed on DMG image.

BTW, OSX 10.9 still should work, but is already on the edge. Apple is trying to make everybody upgrade to the latest OS, current development tools run only on 10.11 and it is sometime hard to guarantee the compatibility.

Regards, Peter

anofeles

Post by anofeles » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:07 pm

Tested ASI 120MM with Astroguider (last beta version too). Camera connected but soft says that can't read pixels (yellow led)
Tested ASI 120MM with Nebulosity. Crashes.
Tested ASI 120MM with PHD 2.6.2 (Mac OSX version). Camera works like the charm...

My problem is that, frequently, I have problems guiding with PHD (and it's a little confusing for me (may be too many options in PHD)

The simplicity of Astroguider,it's one of the things about him that I liked best. It worked great with the ASI 224. It's a real shame...

BTW, thanks for you help.
Regards from Spain.

Peter Polakovic

Post by Peter Polakovic » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:25 pm

Can you check /Console/Utilities (filter messages from AstroGuider)? Maybe there is some more detailed cause of this issue.

Maybe you can also try to update camera firmware, but I'm not sure if it will help.

Peter

anofeles

Post by anofeles » Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:13 am

It has the last firmware...

I've attached a Pages file with the information from the console about my last attempt (today) to connect the camera (that was ok) and clic preview (can't read pixels message and yellow "led")
I have change in red words the message (I think that) with the error text...

Thanks in advance...
Attachments
ASI120MM.pages.zip
(268.07 KiB) Downloaded 15 times

Peter Polakovic

Post by Peter Polakovic » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:41 am

Hm, it failed immediately on latch, not on data transfer. If it does work with PHD, I'll check what is the difference...

anofeles

Post by anofeles » Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:03 am

Fixed with the new version for Astroguider. Thank you very much.

anofeles

Post by anofeles » Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:12 pm

Hi, Peter.
On the 23rd, after a month of raining and cloudy nights, I tried to do a little of astrophotography. I launched Astrotelescope, Astroimager and Astroguider and saw that there were new updates. I updated them and launched them again. Astrotelescope worked well, but neither Astroimager nor Astroguider worked for me. I connected two cameras (ASI 224 for image and ASI 120 for guiding) (connected with no problems) but always they were giving me the same error when I tried a preview image: Failed read pixel.
I restarted my MBP and... the error appears again. With the last version all was ok...
I connected them with Nebulosity and they worked without problems. I connected them with SGP (under windows, argg) and also they worked well...
I don't know what happened..
There is not a diagnostic message because Astroimager or Astroguidr don't crash... (I suppose)

Here you are the only thing I find in the console from that day... I hope that this will be of benefit.

24/12/16 00:11:36,703 UserEventAgent[418]: com.apple.message.domain: com.apple.usage.app_activetime

com.apple.message.signature: AstroImager
com.apple.message.signature2: eu.cloudmakers.AstroImager ||| 2.6 (148)
com.apple.message.value: 25
com.apple.message.value2: 25
com.apple.message.value3: 1
com.apple.message.value4: 0
com.apple.message.value5: 1
com.apple.message.value6: 0
com.apple.message.value7: 25
com.apple.message.result: YES
com.apple.message.summarize: YES
Sender_Mach_UUID:

Regards...

Peter Polakovic

Post by Peter Polakovic » Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:29 pm

Hi, please can you try to downgrade to version 2.5 (http://download.cloumakers.eu/AstroImager_2.5.dmg)? In 2.6 there is new ASI SDK used, it was tested with 120 and 224 and does work, but the same problem was reported by other users as well.

What OS X version do you use?

Regards, Peter

Peter Polakovic

Post by Peter Polakovic » Mon Dec 26, 2016 5:31 pm

P.S. Is it mono or colour version camera?

If AstroImager/AstroGuider reports "Failed read pixels", "ASICameraHelper.readPixels: some method -> some error" message should be recorded in Console. Can you check if there is any?

Thank you, Peter