Can Astroimager do live stacking?

Everything else...
umasscrew39

Can Astroimager do live stacking?

Post by umasscrew39 » Mon May 22, 2017 6:25 pm

There is almost no native Mac software to do live stacking since AstroLive folded for ZWO cameras. I have tried parallels desktop on my Mac using Windows 10 but it does not work. So, curious if AstroImager can do live, real-time stacking usable for Outreach programs. I am not interested in long-exposure AP.

Thanks
Bruce

Peter Polakovic

Re: Can Astroimager do live stacking?

Post by Peter Polakovic » Mon May 22, 2017 9:35 pm

Hi Bruce,

not yet, AstroImager 2.x was intended for long exposure DSO imaging and in this case it doesn't make too much sense (without proper calibration and registration what is out of scope of our toolset). But as far as AstroImager 3.0 has also video mode for planetary or solar imaging, we'll consider to add this feature in near future.

AstroGuider can stack already, but the purpose is to minimise seeing effect only and you can't save such images.

Regards, Peter

umasscrew39

Post by umasscrew39 » Tue May 23, 2017 12:35 am

Hi Peter

Thanks for the clarification and update. That would be great if this feature could be added for DSOs. There is a huge need for a native Mac software to do live stacking.

Regards
Bruce

suvowner

Post by suvowner » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:32 am

I have recently had good success with astrolive and zwo ash 1600.......wouldbe nice though if astroimager added it. it already has real time debayer, which is great btw, like astrolive it could still save the fits, but just stack them as they come in, would be great way to see better what you will be getting.....its handy to stack a few frames at high gain to make sure your target is framed properly for the shot.....

thanks again for your work Peter, you may be turning the tide of no love for mac in astronomy. I left you good review in the app store.

Peter Polakovic

Post by Peter Polakovic » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:29 am

Hi and thank you, we're glad you like it.

Yes, we consider to add basic calibration and stacking. It is not implemented in version 3.0 but is on TODO list for 3.1.

But it will be for preview only (the same way as debayering). Really good calibration, registration and stacking, as e.g. PixInsight does, is out of scope of AstroImager. We want to keep it as simple as possible for its only task - capture images. Processing of capture images is different task for different tool.

Peter

suvowner

Post by suvowner » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:32 pm

totally agree as just a preview tool.......also useful for eaa at star parties......

suvowner

Post by suvowner » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:51 pm

any progress on the live stacking feature ??

Peter Polakovic

Post by Peter Polakovic » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:23 pm

suvowner wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:51 pm
any progress on the live stacking feature ??
Yes, dark frame substraction and stacking are already implemented in shared code (and used in AstroGuider 3.0 beta). It can't be enabled in AstroImager 3.0 yet, because it is still too slow for use with today's cameras (like ASI1600) and needs to be substantially improved first (maybe migrated to Metal API?). Peter