AstroImager 4.x

Bug fixes and minor version announcement.
Peter Polakovic

Re: AstroImager 4.x

Post by Peter Polakovic »

- FWHM computation & autofocus issues fixed
- dithering & timelapse is used only for light frames

http://download.cloudmakers.eu/AstroImager_4.0_536.dmg
Peter Polakovic

aaron

Post by aaron »

Peter Polakovic wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:09 am Remote images are not downloaded automatically, but on demand now:
Hello Peter. Could you provide some reasoning behind this change?

On Monday, I did my first imaging session with the 4.x betas, using IndigoSky. Very successful!

But I had anxiety about the RPi’s storage filling up. I decided to run rsync in Terminal to make sure images were getting to my Mac from the Raspberry Pi. I noticed when I deleted files from the RPi, the agent would restart the numbering from 001 again.

Can the agent keep track of sequence numbers and have unique file names? Or is the idea to wait until the entire run is complete before downloading?
Peter Polakovic

Hi!
Could you provide some reasoning behind this change?
The most important reason was unmanageable synchronisation with multiple clients connected to the same agent (including webGUI vs. AI4).
But I had anxiety about the RPi’s storage filling up.
That's a good point! Maybe we need to introduce some early warning of getting out of space or an estimation of number images which can be written or something like that.
I noticed when I deleted files from the RPi, the agent would restart the numbering from 001 again. Can the agent keep track of sequence numbers and have unique file names? Or is the idea to wait until the entire run is complete before downloading?
This is quite complicated, it can work in 3 different modes depending on the setup:

1. local agent with local driver - driver is instructed to write the files to given folder and the driver generates the names (and uses the first available name, it is INDI legacy and can't be changed easily);
2. local agent with remote driver - driver is instructed to upload files and AI generates the names;
3. remote agent - driver is instructed to write the files to its local storage with names generated by the driver and AI downloads them on request and rename on fly to names generated by AI (this is what you used).

You can pause and resume the batch later on driver or agent level, you can use a sequence with multiple batches, you can continue with batch from a previous day or year, you can even run two server instances and writing the files to the same folder. The easiest possible approach is to use always the first available file name (starting with XXX_001) and this is what we use on both server and client side. Maybe it is not perfect, but anything else we tried led sooner or later to some conflicts :(

Peter
aaron

Post by aaron »

Ah got it. Yes, I understand now that the agent-client model makes this a challenge. It sounds like each client keeps tracks of the images on the server (in case of multiple clients and jobs as you describe) so that is impressive. I do agree that the server is the natural place to store images, temporarily at least.

I think the root of my challenge is with the implementation of the download button on the beta AI.
  • I would like to download images in the middle of a batch, but the button was disabled until the batch was finished.
  • When I did use the download button, the operation seemed to block other UI features. Ideally, downloads would be asynchronous, and the UI would remain highly responsive. (Maybe this is why you disabled the button? ;) )
  • I would be reassured if the download operation logged messages like, “Downloading image 3 of 15 from indigosky.local...” it would make me happy to see those! :D
  • I like how AI will rename the files. That will help! But I couldn’t find where to set the download folder. Pictures went into ~/Pictures. Where is that setting hidden?
Peter Polakovic

I would like to download images in the middle of a batch, but the button was disabled until the batch was finished.
Yes, this may be probably enabled, but I have to test it. The reason why it was disabled is that there is a possible race between the driver, that will reuse XXX_001 filename again as soon as it is deleted by the agent and the list of available files in the agent.
When I did use the download button, the operation seemed to block other UI features. Ideally, downloads would be asynchronous, and the UI would remain highly responsive. (Maybe this is why you disabled the button? ;) )
Hm, this should run on background, I have to check it...
I would be reassured if the download operation logged messages like, “Downloading image 3 of 15 from indigosky.local...” it would make me happy to see those! :D
Yes, you're right, a good point.
I like how AI will rename the files. That will help! But I couldn’t find where to set the download folder. Pictures went into ~/Pictures. Where is that setting hidden?
In Setup dialog (2nd button in toolbar) the top most field :)

Peter
aaron

Post by aaron »

Peter Polakovic wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:44 pm
In Setup dialog (2nd button in toolbar) the top most field :)
Ah! Yes, it makes sense to live in that dialog. But perhaps move it to below the sequence settings? It is easy to miss at the top -- I certainly missed it!

Please let me know if you like this sort of specific feedback on the 4.0 apps, because I can keep going :-D. I've done this sort of thing before, but some developers prefer only feedback on bugs.
Peter Polakovic

Please let me know if you like this sort of specific feedback on the 4.0 apps, because I can keep going :-D. I've done this sort of thing before, but some developers prefer only feedback on bugs.
Certainly yes, any feedback on the usability is welcome! Peter
Peter Polakovic

A common changes introduced with AstroDSLR 4.0:

http://download.cloudmakers.eu/http://d ... .0_538.dmg
Peter Polakovic

Hm, I'm sorry, sequencer is broken :( I'll upload fixed build later today...