FITS Preview 4.x

Bug fixes and minor version announcement.
Peter Polakovic

FITS Preview 4.x

Post by Peter Polakovic »

Migrated to 4.x imaging component + new look & feel

https://download.cloudmakers.eu/FITS_Pr ... .0_567.dmg

Screenshot 2021-02-03 at 08.08.40.jpg
Screenshot 2021-02-03 at 08.08.40.jpg (521.58 KiB) Viewed 486 times
Peter Polakovic

Re: FITS Preview 4.x

License checking changed to BETA state:

https://download.cloudmakers.eu/FITS_Pr ... .0_570.dmg
abaxworld

Post by abaxworld »

Great new version, Peter. It would be even greater if you could add an Histogram tool bigger and with finest control. When I move the sliders it moves too much. Yes, I can use the buttons but would be nice a bigger histogram ( may be in a separate window ) with more accurate sliders. Just proposing. .XISF support it's a great addition, but sometimes it shows the image and sometimes it's all white. I guess it's in the first stages.Thank you.
Peter Polakovic

Well, the problem with histogram is, that it is a shared component with the remaining members of our suite and for performance reasons is computed just on some limited sample of the pixels and only on 8 bit scale (upper 8 bits in case of 16 bit depth). So it can be larger, but will not show more details :(

Can you send me such XISF file? Maybe it is just wrong stretching and maybe we can't parse all files.
abaxworld

Post by abaxworld »

Yes, it's the same histogram for all the apps and I guess changing that tool it's not that easy. ;-)

Also I was wondering if a Quicklook preview could be added too, to be able to have thumbnails in the Finder and see a preview pressing the spacebar and then opening directly the file with FITS Preview, just like the QLFits project or a regular photo with macOS Preview app. Asking all the time for new features, hehehe ;-) Just in case it's possible.

To share the .XISF example generated by PixInsight I have added it to my Google Drive as it's too big to load here. Here you are the link:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/13y-eAN ... sp=sharing

When I try to open the image with FITS Preview, I get only the application background but not the image.
abaxworld

Post by abaxworld »

.. In fact, I have seen now that the new FITS Preview 4 blocks QLFits, so using Quicklook to preview .fits files it's not possible and the Finder preview is gone. I have erased the version 4 and kept FITS Preview 2.4 version and it works again. Strange behaviour...

[ Also blocks another Quicklook app, QuickFITS, so it seems to block any Finder/Quicklook preview from other apps ]
Peter Polakovic

Maybe don't set FITS Preview as default viewer...
abaxworld

Post by abaxworld »

Nop, I tried and once FITS Preview 4 is installed, it takes control of any .FITS Preview in the Finder. Even if I assign the .FITS files to be opened by PixInsight or another app, it keeps showing just the FITS Preview 4 icon instead of the thumbnail of the image. Or the icon as the Quicklook preview in the Finder. And a Finder preview with QuickFITS or QLFits its really interesting for me to browse fast between the files and then, if I need to check in deep, open it with FITS Preview ( this workflow works with FITS Preview 2.4 but not with version 4 ). Another option as I said previously is to have this ability included with the new FITS Preview version to avoid any incompatibility with third party apps.
Peter Polakovic

I'll check how this works. I never used QL, so no experience yet... :)
abaxworld

Post by abaxworld »

Hope it is possible to do something about it, if not I will stick with current version 2.4. :cry: