FITS Preview 4.x

Bug fixes and minor version announcement.
abaxworld

Re: FITS Preview 4.x

Post by abaxworld »

If QuickLook doesn't work with FITS Preview 4.x, try to use QuickFits. You can find it at the
Apple Store for free. It works even better and it's easier to install. Before it was released I used QuickLook and after Peter
made some changes QuickLook worked for me with FITS Preview 4.x. Currently I just use QuickFits and for
me it works perfectly in combination with FP 4.x. Give it a try.
Tailspin45

Post by Tailspin45 »

It appears that Observatory, by Code Obsession, generated the QuickLook FITS images:
Quick Look

Quick Look lets you view a file’s contents by selecting it in Finder and then pressing the spacebar. There’s no need to wait for the file to open in an application. Although macOS supports many types of images, the formats typically used for astronomy are not. Observatory therefore provides Quick Look generators for the following image formats:

FITS – Flexible Image Transport System (FITS) is a digital file format useful for storage, transmission and processing of scientific and other images. FITS is the most commonly used digital file format in astronomy. FITS images usually have a .fits, .fts or .fit extension.

XISF – Extensible Image Serialization Format (XISF) is a free file format for storage, management and interchange of digital images and associated data. XISF has been conceived and implemented as the native file format of PixInsight, an image processing software platform designed specifically for astronomical imaging, and developed by the company Pleiades Astrophoto S.L. These images usually have a .XISF extension.

SBIG – The SBIG format is the default format for saving images when using the SBIG CCDOPS image acquisition software. These images usually have a .ST7, .ST8, .ST9 or .SBIG extension.

To zoom in on an image when the Quick Look window is open, hold down the Option key. If you have PixInsight installed then there’s an Open with PixInsight button towards the top of the window, which when clicked will open the image in PixInsight.

As can be seen in the above screenshot, the plugins also generate image thumbnails for the Finder windows. In addition they are used in its Gallery view and for Finder’s Get Info window. They even appear in the Dialog for opening files (instead of generic icons), in any application. In these Dialogs you can also view a file’s contents up-close by pressing spacebar.

To force Quick Look to regenerate previews and thumbnails, launch the Terminal application and enter qlmanage -r;qlmanage -r cache. You may need to relaunch Finder to clear its cache as well.
I did run the Terminal command, but still no QL FITS images.

I'll see what the folks at Code Obsession have to say.
Tailspin45

Post by Tailspin45 »

abaxworld wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 7:42 pm If QuickLook doesn't work with FITS Preview 4.x, try to use QuickFits. You can find it at the
Apple Store for free. It works even better and it's easier to install. Before it was released I used QuickLook and after Peter
made some changes QuickLook worked for me with FITS Preview 4.x. Currently I just use QuickFits and for
Weird. QuickFits doesn't display images dragged or Open-ed.
abaxworld

Post by abaxworld »

Tailspin45 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 7:59 pm
abaxworld wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 7:42 pm If QuickLook doesn't work with FITS Preview 4.x, try to use QuickFits. You can find it at the
Weird. QuickFits doesn't display images dragged or Open-ed.
Ok, I didn't realise that Peter introduced an option to make a QuickLook preview in this version. I haver erased QuickFits and tried with FITS Preview 4.x latest beta and yes, you can see the icons of the .fits images but not the preview of the image in QuickLook window. Now I get it. Use QuickFits until is fully implemented in FITS Pre 4.x. It works perfectly at least in my computer.
Tailspin45

Post by Tailspin45 »

The problem with QuickFits suggests it's an OS not an app issue: when using File then Open, FITS files are grayed out and cannot be opened...BUT...Fits Preview sees them and opens them as expected.
Tailspin45

Post by Tailspin45 »

Problem solved. My LaunchServices database was corrupt.

I tried updating it so Observatory could provide the Quick Look service, but that didn't work.

I rebuilt the database completely and the problem is solved.

I'm suspicious FITS Preview 4.0.589 was the culprit.
Peter Polakovic

Post by Peter Polakovic »

How did you do it? I reinstalled Observatory too to make it work better, but it doesn't work at all now :)
Tailspin45

Post by Tailspin45 »

Be sure you have a backup, then delete QuickFits to avoid LaunchServices conflicts and rebuild the LaunchServices database completely, with the Terminal command

Code: Select all

/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Versions/A/Support/lsregister -kill -r -domain local -domain system -domain user
You will then need to reconnect share menu items with

Code: Select all

/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Versions/A/Support/lsregister -kill -seed
Doubt any of that will help you get Observatory running again, but it might. If not, Sander is very helpful and quick to respond if you post in the Code Obsession forum

Good luck!
Peter Polakovic

Peter Polakovic