INDIGO AstroGuider

suvowner

Re: INDIGO AstroGuider

Post by suvowner »

Peter Polakovic wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 2:20 pm 3.10 release candidate

http://download.cloudmakers.eu/AstroGuider_3.10_452.dmg
I have installed this version, but AstroGuider keeps prompting me to download and install version 3.10 ?
anofeles

Post by anofeles »

I have version 3.10.453. Surely that's the one that asks you to download since yours is version 3.10.452.
Greetings...
Peter Polakovic

Post by Peter Polakovic »

Actually, the most recent production version is this one: http://download.cloudmakers.eu/AstroGuider_3.11.dmg
iMustBcrazy

Post by iMustBcrazy »

Hi Peter,
I tried astroguider for the first time a week ago and was pleased to get sub-second guiding on my HEQ5. The only thing I thought could use improvement was the long calibration. Since it needs to be calibrated for each session - dark site ST-4 operation - or after a meridian flip, it would be nice if it was faster. However, please dont break it on my account. Performance is key! :)

Actually, at the start I didn't know what was going on (all setting at lowest level) - having a bum camera didnt help but I was prepared with a backup. I started playing with the settings and after manually adjusting for quite some time, my built-in AI had most settings figured out ;-) it was a very educational experience! At first I thought the settings should have had some sort of default like in PHD but in the end I was glad for the experience it gave me.

I was wondering if its possible for the guider to do what I did which is to slowing adjust to optimize the performance over time. It took me a lot of time but an algorithm might do it in minutes. PHD will do analysis but it doesn't auto adjust either. Is there any guider that auto adjusts? If not, what's the issue?
Peter Polakovic

Post by Peter Polakovic »

Hi! :)
tried astroguider for the first time a week ago and was pleased to get sub-second guiding on my HEQ5. The only thing I thought could use improvement was the long calibration. Since it needs to be calibrated for each session - dark site ST-4 operation - or after a meridian flip, it would be nice if it was faster. However, please dont break it on my account. Performance is key! :)
Well, it depends on the correct settings. If the initial calibration step is the right one and you use short exposure time, it may be quite fast. BTW, the calibration process is more less the same as with PHD2, there is nothing you can do too much differently, maybe just to use less steps in every direction :)
Actually, at the start I didn't know what was going on (all setting at lowest level) - having a bum camera didnt help but I was prepared with a backup. I started playing with the settings and after manually adjusting for quite some time, my built-in AI had most settings figured out ;-) it was a very educational experience! At first I thought the settings should have had some sort of default like in PHD but in the end I was glad for the experience it gave me.
I believe, the initial settings are the right one for most setups :) What you may beed to adjust is the initial calibration step, but AG will do it for you and remember it.
I was wondering if its possible for the guider to do what I did which is to slowing adjust to optimize the performance over time. It took me a lot of time but an algorithm might do it in minutes. PHD will do analysis but it doesn't auto adjust either. Is there any guider that auto adjusts? If not, what's the issue?
It is not so easy. For a really fixed setup it may be possible to save the configurations for a different parts of the sky to avoid repeated calibrations, but you can't do it in general case. If balance changes, you need different calibration :(

For some parameters like aggressivity there is no value that can be determined automatically and can change even during the night, the best approach is to try and see (the same with PHD2 I think). For other parameters like min. error or max. pulse there is usually only one correct setup and once determined, you don't need to touch them anymore.

What will be improved in the future version is replacement of primary drift measurement algorithm from local centroid to DONUTS. Local centroid needs to select the guiding star and is very sensitive to focusing, noise and/or seeing. DONUTS works with whole frame and thus you don't need to select the star and the algorithm is quite resilient to local image quality. On the other hand, it is sensitive to S/N ratio, so local centroid algorithm can be used too if needed.

Peter
iMustBcrazy

Post by iMustBcrazy »

Thanks for the reply. Now that you mention it. As I experimented with the bad camera and pulse guiding, the cal steps were put way out of whack. Later when I used the replacement cam and st-4 it started to sort itself out, and yes cal was faster. I do like how it remembers the settings.

I have a few more things to learn... donuts sounds interesting!