What are INDIGO agents?

Questions & Answers
Awesom-0

Re: What are INDIGO agents?

Post by Awesom-0 »

I'm running INDIGOSKY, and have added the synscan driver to the driver list to support my Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro. It works great. I'm using the 3.x version of AstroTelescope. I've also added the ASI ZWO driver for my guide camera and AstroGuider is also working perfect. I've also noticed that there is an additional Mount Agent option and a Guide Agent option. Can you explain what the difference is between using the INDIGOSKY Synscan Driver/ ZWO driver and the Mount/Guider Agent? After closing all my clients applications down, even with the Syscan/ZWO driver selected, it keeps tracking working etc, which is awesome compared to how it worked in INDI. Am I using the INDIGO AGENT without realizing it? or do I have to attached the Mount Agent to the AstroTelescope? Sorry if this doesn't make sense, I'm new to this solution and still learning the ropes.

Jared
Peter Polakovic

Post by Peter Polakovic »

Hi Jared,

if you use 3.x applications, the business logic is implemented by the application. If you use remote driver, you can't close the application and the connection needs to be stable.

if you use 4.x applications, the business logic is always implemented by the agents. The only difference is, that if you e.g. in AstroImager select "AstroImager" as the agent and "some camera @ indigosky" as the camera, you use agent running in the server embedded in AstroImager which controls camera connected on INDIGO Sky, while if you select "INDIGO Sky" as the agent and "some camera" as the camera, you use agent running in the server on INDIGO Sky which controls the same camera, but as a local device. In the first case, you can't close the application and if the connection breaks, everything is lost. While in the second case you can close the connection and the agent running in INDIGO Sky will continue to do its job. The same with guiding and everything else.

The additional agents shown by AstroImager or AstroTelescope in the lower left corner are "related agents". E.g. if you want to use dithering, agent controlling the imaging needs to know what agent controls the guiding. If you want to park the mount at the end of a sequence, agent controlling the imaging needs to know what agent controls the mount tracking.
Awesom-0

Post by Awesom-0 »

Peter,
I've been using INDIGO Sky with 3.15 and now 3.16. I'm interested in trying out the 4.X applications. Most specifically for AstroGuider due to agent capabilities. I installed Version 4.0 (580). Is this the recommended version I should use for pilot testing this? I'd like to use this version during my next clear sky night, any serious/known issues I should be aware of? Or just stick to 3.16 for now?
Peter Polakovic

Definitely use the most recent version of each 4.x builds, for AG it is 580, for other applications it is 582. But remember, that you have to use either all 4.x or all 3.x, don't mix 4.x and 3.x applications, they can't talk to each other.

Specifically AG is MUCH better in version 4.x than in version 3.x, I recommend to try it. You can find deeper description of built-in agent here:

https://github.com/indigo-astronomy/ind ... ding-setup
kopmanis

Post by kopmanis »

So, the idea behind agents, if I understand things, is to setup the INDIGO server and its related agents, and then clients connect to the server and tell the agents or server what things to do, and simply pick up the resultant "products" after whatever desired action is finished. That's pretty slick.

So, theoretically, you could orchestrate the activities of the INDIGO server using nearly any client, script language, etc, assuming that it would understand INDIGO protocols.
Peter Polakovic

Yes, exactly.
Awesom-0

Post by Awesom-0 »

Peter,
Thanks for the info on the 4.x Guider. I've tested 4.x AG and love the way the agent works with the application. I have a couple questions:
1. You mentioned not to mix 3.x and 4.x applications. I am using ST4 guiding with AG 4.x. AI and AT are on 3.x and from what i can tell have no interaction with AG in my testing. Am I missing something?
2. If I'm using AI 4.x and agent imager INDIGO SKY, the images are stored on INDIGO SKY until I download, which is expected behavior. When you download images from AI GUI, does it remove them from INDIGO SKy PI? Is there any way to see the files through the GUI that are stored on the agent without SSH into the INDIGO SKY? Want to make sure I don't slowly use up all my 32G storage on my PI by leaving files.
3. I'm having issues with the AT 4.x and plate solving with local web service. Using Telemetry 1.2, it solves my images but plots them in AT off the map. 3.X works perfect, so I'm a little hesitant to test this on my next clear sky night. I'll try and work through it again, but this is a critical function for me, which is why I'm trying to continue with 3.X for AT and AI, and 4.X with AG. Again really excited for 4.X AG love the agent.

Love the software, keeps getting better and better!!!

Thanks!!
Peter Polakovic

1. You mentioned not to mix 3.x and 4.x applications. I am using ST4 guiding with AG 4.x. AI and AT are on 3.x and from what i can tell have no interaction with AG in my testing. Am I missing something?
Well, there is some interaction, e.g. AT should stop guiding whenever the mount is slewed or parked. But the most complicated integration is with AI (dithering etc).
2. If I'm using AI 4.x and agent imager INDIGO SKY, the images are stored on INDIGO SKY until I download, which is expected behavior. When you download images from AI GUI, does it remove them from INDIGO SKy PI? Is there any way to see the files through the GUI that are stored on the agent without SSH into the INDIGO SKY? Want to make sure I don't slowly use up all my 32G storage on my PI by leaving files.
Yes, images are deleted after download. And unfortunately, it is not possible to preview them. You can just look on the file list with a control panel.
3. I'm having issues with the AT 4.x and plate solving with local web service. Using Telemetry 1.2, it solves my images but plots them in AT off the map. 3.X works perfect, so I'm a little hesitant to test this on my next clear sky night. I'll try and work through it again, but this is a critical function for me, which is why I'm trying to continue with 3.X for AT and AI, and 4.X with AG. Again really excited for 4.X AG love the agent.
AI4 and AD4 in "local web service" mode uses the same code for astrometry.net integration, so I believe it should work. Do you have a correct observatory coordinates set in AT?