dithering and AT

Questions, bug reports, requests for enhancements, etc.
ThatsMyCoffee

dithering and AT

Post by ThatsMyCoffee »

I'm wondering if two long standing issues with my system are related to each other. And hoping for some advice.

The first problem is that AT often stops controlling the mount. No error or warning message, but when I try to slew or jog, it just doesn't work. If I restart AT, it connects again and works as it should. The 'good' part of this problem is that I polar align my (amazing) HEQ5 precisely and if I'm doing short subs, I'm often not even aware that the control has been lost, since it continues to track on it's own. On Catalina, AT often wouldn't exit and even a 'Force Quit' wouldn't work. I'd end up losing a 1/2 hour rebooting and then setting up everything over again. Big Sur seems to handle this a bit better.

The second problem is that dithering frequently just doesn't work. Without changing any settings, it seems to do as it pleases. If works, it keeps working all night. If it doesn't, the same...

Is there anything I can DO or CHECK while either of the things are happening, to get them working again? (I seem incapable of recording the logs, so please don't ask.)
Peter Polakovic

Re: dithering and AT

Post by Peter Polakovic »

Hi, what driver do you use? NexStar or SynScan.

Dithering in 3.x is quite fragile, but it is completely redesigned in version 4.0+ and I believe it will be much better. Did you have a chance to try pre-release 4.0?

Regards, Peter
ThatsMyCoffee

Post by ThatsMyCoffee »

Synscan with v_4
Peter Polakovic

OK, I'll try SynScan driver again.

In version 4 you have to select AstroTelescope as mount agent to make dithering work. Did you?

Peter
ThatsMyCoffee

Post by ThatsMyCoffee »

Yes, in AI and in AT. Do I need to do it in both places?
Peter Polakovic

For dithering just in AI. The opposite direction is used to transfer the current coordinates as they are saved in FITS metadata. Peter
iMustBcrazy

Post by iMustBcrazy »

ThatsMyCoffee wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:40 am The second problem is that dithering frequently just doesn't work. Without changing any settings, it seems to do as it pleases. If works, it keeps working all night. If it doesn't, the same...
For V3, dithering was fixed as of v3.15 - an initialization bug - but this is not what is in the App Store - only v3.14 is there.