AstroDSLR with Sony A7RIV

Questions, bug reports, requests for enhancements, etc.
psparkman

Re: AstroDSLR with Sony A7RIV

Post by psparkman »

Yes, I think it is close. Could I have a file write permission issue to my Mac? I know there was a recent security update, and the Macs are becoming very challenging on the security access issues. I am on Catalina 10.15.3 (19D76).
Peter Polakovic

Post by Peter Polakovic »

I don't think this is the issue. Executables are notarised and have a lot of entitlements set including read/write permission to a user selected folder. Peter
Peter Polakovic

I can't reproduce the issue with 7RII, but I noticed something what may be related. When I start liveview, stop it, capture single image and start liveview again, it takes 2-3 seconds before it really starts again (and preview is frozen also on camera display). Maybe with 7RIII and IV it is even more. Pls. can you try it once again and wait a little bit at that point?

If this is not the case, pls. can you make a trace log?

1. set log level to trace (Preferences > INDIGO)
2. restart AstroDSLR
3. repeat the test
4. save the log (Control > Save log)
5. reset log level back to error.

Thank you very much! Peter
psparkman

Post by psparkman »

I had always waited, many times as long as a couple of minutes. I turned on the trace level logging and did the following:
Selected the A7RIV
Hit LiveView for a few seconds and confirmed it was working properly
Stopped LiveView
Hit Capture and display single frame, and the camera shutter fired
Waited about a minute, but no image was ever displayed
Hit the Stop all captures button
Hit LiveView and waited, confirmed that LiveView never displayed
Saved the log file...which is attached

I have also downloaded KStars/Ekos to try. I get a very similar behavior. When I first connect to the camera, I can do a live video. But when I try to get a capture a dialog box appears saying that the Indi driver has crashed. And of course the camera does not show video again.
A7RIV Test for Peter.txt
(343.79 KiB) Downloaded 25 times
Peter Polakovic

Thank you very much, I'll try to read the log and find what's going on.

Ekos/INDI uses libgphoto2 as the driver for DSLRs. I looked at the code already and there is nothing specific about 7RIII or 7RIV so it probably fails for the same reason as our INDIGO driver.

Peter
Peter Polakovic

It seems that this is the problem:

09:12:36.318 indigo_ccd_ptp[ptp_get_event:1134]: libusb_bulk_transfer() -> OK, 12
09:12:36.331 indigo_ccd_ptp[1140, ptp_get_event]: event ??? (c206) []
09:12:36.333 indigo_ccd_ptp[ptp_handle_event:1227]: ??? (c206): +106433072 skipped

A7RIV uses some new event code unknown to both our driver and gphoto2 to deliver the image (106MB is a lot of data, I suppose it is RAW image) :( Pls. can you try it with A7RIII if it is the same?

Thank you, Peter
psparkman

Post by psparkman »

Thanks for continuing to work on this Peter. I used the A7RIII, and it behaved perfectly today. I was able to LiveView, then Capture, and go back and forth...even doing a record batch with no issues. So I set the log to Trace, and just went back and forth between LiveView and Capture. Hopefully this helps. If we can get the A7RIV to behave like this, it would be great!
Attachments
A7RIII Trace Log.txt
(583.2 KiB) Downloaded 24 times
Peter Polakovic

Thank you. This log shows A7RIII supports the same events as A7RII, but A7RIV is different.

There is already a bug filled for libghoto2 https://github.com/gphoto/libgphoto2/issues/471 but no solution yet. I'll try to add some more logging to see what data are sent with that new event and to try to guess what is it.

Peter
Peter Polakovic

BTW, do you use micro USB or USB-C port on the camera. It seems, that they are no quite equivalent for tethering...

Is there some SD card inside and what card writing mode do you use?

Event C206 doesn't carry any parameter, so it is not information about object added to the memory, it is probably just some state information.

Peter
psparkman

Post by psparkman »

I have used both micro-usb and USB C port. Behavior seemed the same on both. I just tried with and without an SD card. I tried writing mode PC-only, PC and Camera, and even though it doesn't make sense to use it this way...Camera only. Always with the same result. Video works, but image capture does not and then Video doesn't work any more. The Capture to Camera only did write the image to the card though.