AstroDSLR with Sony A7RIV

Questions, bug reports, requests for enhancements, etc.
psparkman

AstroDSLR with Sony A7RIV

Post by psparkman »

Hi, I am really interested in trying to use AstroDSLR to image with my Sony cameras. I just downloaded the trial copy and installed it on my 2018 MacBook Pro. At first, I tried to connect my Sony A7RIV using a USB-C to USB-C cable since the MacBook only has USB-C and the A7RIV has USB-C. AstroDSLR never showed the camera as a selection. I then tried it with my Sony A7RIII connected with a USB-C to USB-3 adapter as the A7RIII just has a micro-USB connector. Then A7RIII showed up under the camera dropdown and worked well.

So, I started playing with the method of connecting the camera. I tried the A7RIV with the same USB-C to USB-3 to micro-USB cables that worked on the A7RIII, as the A7RIV also has that micro-USB connection. But the A7RIV still did not show up in AstroDSLR.

The last thing that I tried was connecting the A7RIV to Capture One Pro (an image processing software that also has a live camera capability). Capture One would connect to the A7RIV using the micro-USB cable, but not the USB-C.

Are you planning on getting the A7RIV to connect to AstroDSLR? I know that Sony just released an SDK for the A7RIV, are you planning on using that to expand the functionality for the A7RIV?
Peter Polakovic

Re: AstroDSLR with Sony A7RIV

Post by Peter Polakovic »

Hi,

this camera is not listed in VID/PID list (nobody had it yet :D). Pls. can you check VID/PID in System Information (Options + Apple menu > System Information)?

We'll add it. Thank you, Peter
psparkman

Post by psparkman »

Hi Peter. I have tried to find what I think you are looking for, but I don't see either the A7RIII or the A7RIV when I look at the USB settings. I wanted to paste a screen shot, but it does not seem to let me paste here.

I currently have the A7RIII attached via USB adaptor and connected to AstroDSLR, but it does not show up as a USB connected device like my monitor and monitor camera does. The A7RIV is connect via USB-C, and it does not show up under the USB connection either. However, I just discovered that the A7RIV does open with Final Cut Pro X connected that way.

Do you just need the USB Host Controller ID...I would not think so. Sorry but I might need a little more guidance to find what you are needed.
Peter Polakovic

Hi, this is what I see with 7RII. The camera may have some cryptic name, but I believe there is some Sony somewhere :) Make sure the camera is turned on and that USB Connection is set to "PC Remote" in camera menu. If you really don't see it in System information, it may be either hardware issue (e.g. charge-only USB cable) or some new settings in camera menu.

Peter

Screenshot 2020-02-15 at 12.59.11.jpg
Screenshot 2020-02-15 at 12.59.11.jpg (190.35 KiB) Viewed 640 times
Peter Polakovic

I think I found it on the net. It should be called ILCE-7RM4 and VID/PID is 054c/0ccc. I'll try to make a new build to day with these data. Peter
psparkman

Post by psparkman »

Thanks Peter. I am sorry that I did not see that yesterday. That is where I was looking, but it was not there. Perhaps I did not have the PC connection set in the camera. I see that exact same version on with both of my laptops and the A7RIV. I look forward to having the AstroDSLR work with this camera. It works nicely with the A7RIII. Only issue that I have is that after I do a capture, and then go back to LiveView. The LiveView screen is black. I close the program and restart, and LiveView comes back until I do a capture again.
Peter Polakovic

Thank you for the report, I'll check, if I can reproduce the issue. Unfortunately, every Sony camera is a bit different and nothing is documented, so it is sometime hard :( Peter
Peter Polakovic

Pls. can you try if this build will detect A7R4?

http://download.cloudmakers.eu/AstroDSLR_3.13_506.dmg

I added just A7R4 VID/PID, A7R3 issues are not reproduced yet.

Thank you, Peter
psparkman

Post by psparkman »

Hi Peter. I had some level of success with your new build tonight. It recognizes the A7RIV, and the controls work. I am able to do Live View, if I start it first. However, I am still having problems capturing an image. If I hit the single capture button, the camera takes the image but it never displays on the computer. And then if I go back to Live View it doesn't work so I have to quit and restart the program. Then, if I set up a sequencer shoot, the camera takes the first image, but then does not take any of the subsequent images. This was the same problem that I had with A7RIII. Funny thing is I know this worked at one time with the A7III. Maybe I will reboot my laptop and try it again.

But thank you, as at least the A7RIV now shows up!
Peter Polakovic

OK, so at least some success :) I'll try to look at the capture issue now... Peter