iOptron CEM70 support

Questions, bug reports, requests for enhancements, etc.
Peter Polakovic

Re: iOptron CEM70 support

Post by Peter Polakovic »

I suppose that if you use the hand controller, it should be OK. But to be honest, I don't know and with iOptron you never can be sure :) It is easily possible, that when the hand controller is opened from the computer, everything is stopped.

But if you will just start "preview" in AstroGuider and select some star, you should see on the graphs if there is some drift or not. If it is, the mount is either poorly aligned or not tracking.
Jay

Post by Jay »

Thanks again Peter. I will keep at it.
Jay

Post by Jay »

Quick Update and question on guiding. I was able to update firmware on the iOptron CEM 70G mount and handbox. I am using a MacBook Pro with Big Sur OS and finding some challenges with drivers and RS232 cables etc. But I got it. So I retrained the worm gear for PEC error and it is recorded as .63 Sidereal in RA and DEC.

My question is: Next time I try guiding with AstroGuider, should I input .63 somewhere before I start? I was getting "DEC drift too fast moving north recalibrating" messages before.

The mount offers a "guide speed" setting on the HBX as well. Should I pre set that to a specific value to help things? I thought it might be automatic in the AG program. After reading the "Notes on Guiding Setup" paper you put out I am reluctant to fiddle with anything for fear of messing it up. Thanks.
Peter Polakovic

No, you don’t need to set this value anywhere, guiding is another layer above PEC.

That “too fast” message is related to calibration step only. And it is increased or decreased automatically and saved.

Try to set guiding speed to something like 50%. In general it is not too important, it makes a sense to change it only if the guiding is too sensitive for given guiding pulse minimal length.
Jay

Post by Jay »

Thanks again Peter. I will set at 50 and leave it. Waiting for smoke to clear up to try some more. I will eventually get it. I used the simulator some more and I have an idea of how it should behave. I hope the mount isn't faulty.
Jay

Post by Jay »

Quick update:
I finally got a night with no smoke, just a lot of moonlight but ok for a test. I still can't get past the Calibration step. In N/S mode it indicated "drift is too fast, Moving North" In RA only mode "Drift too fast, moving west". Calibration Failed. I was patient and let it try for hours. I don't even know what a calibration pass command sounds like yet. When I try Guiding without calibration, it of course fails too. I disconnected everything and monitored drift with hand controller inputs only on Vega in sidereal, Jupiter in solar, and the moon with lunar rate tracking. It's off for sure, even with perfect PA. I suspect a motor issue now. I get stable power at 119v ac and the vr seems in order. I have no experience with adjusting gear tension but will have to try. would you think the mount is so new and overly tight causing drift due to slow tracking? Would that indicate I need to slightly loosen the tension on the worm gears? Maybe CEM 70G is just not my game. Thanks.
Peter Polakovic

Pls. can you this? Just start the preview in AstroGuider, select some star and see if there is a fast drift. If it is, it probably means, that the mount is not tracking (or is so bad aligned that there is drift even if it is tracking).