Rogue Agents!

Questions, bug reports, requests for enhancements, etc.
iMustBcrazy

Rogue Agents!

Post by iMustBcrazy »

Hi Peter,
I have to say that although I really like cloud makers tools, lately with the use of v4, I've had problems with reliability. My last outing was a total loss.

After correcting a guiding problem I experienced an SD card corruption. This is the second time this has happened since using v4. I know because eventually I could not even start a guiding calibration. AG would immediately say "calibration failed" or "guiding failed" - no other information. This was happening after a complete cold start with the scope at park, and it did this repeatedly. The two times I've had this corruption, one I replaced the SD card and last time I replaced the whole RPi. These measures fixed the problem.

It may be that there is a bad wifi connection but this should not result in a failed unit. The wifi can become less than optimal when I take my laptop into my car but there shouldn't be an issue because of bad wifi or no wifi. The agents should be operating in a robust way and not corrupting the SD card.

I wonder if the handling of previews in v4 is at issue here. I've seen response of AG completely stall, no guiding updates for maybe a minute. With agents, getting status is the most important, not previews. But of course some previews are needed to ensure that the right things are happening, especially at the beginning of the session. Anyway, I'm sure you know that but something needs to be done about the reliability of operation when the wifi link becomes poor or non existent, since this is actually quite normal behaviour of any wifi network.

I don't have any log because after the last reboot - I guess - the log was cleared. By the way, I was using IndigoSky 2.0-150. I've updated to the latest now (154) and I will try that next time.

Thanks.
Peter Polakovic

Re: Rogue Agents!

Post by Peter Polakovic »

Hi, agents can't corrupt SD card, filesystem integrity is handled by operating system, no user space software can damage it. So if the card was physically OK, it may be a consequence of system crash or power failure. But the more usual cause it just unreliable card, RPi4 is very sensitive for it. In such case if e.g. swap file is mapped to a bad block, the system may crash or behave randomly. The card can be also damaged by the heat and RPi4 can easily become really hot :(

WiFi is really an issue. The built-in adapter is poor, it looks it is better to use some 3rd party USB WiFi dongle or ethernet cable.

In general, agents don't need the connection to the client. The only problem is, if the client IS connected but the connection is poor. In such case a lot of data (but not images, they are pulled, not pushed) are sent to the client and in some point it blocks the server. So if the connection is poor it is better to disconnect the client at all and let the server run in a headless mode. You can just connect from time to time to check if everything is still OK.
iMustBcrazy

Re: Rogue Agents!

Post by iMustBcrazy »

Peter Polakovic wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:15 pm Hi, agents can't corrupt SD card, filesystem integrity is handled by operating system, no user space software can damage it. So if the card was physically OK, it may be a consequence of system crash or power failure. But the more usual cause it just unreliable card, RPi4 is very sensitive for it. In such case if e.g. swap file is mapped to a bad block, the system may crash or behave randomly. The card can be also damaged by the heat and RPi4 can easily become really hot :(

WiFi is really an issue. The built-in adapter is poor, it looks it is better to use some 3rd party USB WiFi dongle or ethernet cable.

In general, agents don't need the connection to the client. The only problem is, if the client IS connected but the connection is poor. In such case a lot of data (but not images, they are pulled, not pushed) are sent to the client and in some point it blocks the server. So if the connection is poor it is better to disconnect the client at all and let the server run in a headless mode. You can just connect from time to time to check if everything is still OK.
Hi Peter,
Thanks for the info. Is there a way to have linux scrub the SD card and tag bad blocks? Or would re-burning the SD card do this? I have a brand new card in the RPi so I think this problem happened in two different cards.

I also bought a new RPI that has a metal case to provide better cooling but I think the case blocks the wifi signal a little. I don't get full strength bars with it :(

Also, How can I turn off preview in the client? I presume mini view turns off preview?