Capture Process

Questions, bug reports, requests for enhancements, etc.
iMustBcrazy

Capture Process

Post by iMustBcrazy »

I'm trying to understand the capture process to understand the bandwidth usage of the wifi network when using indigosky

I've tried testing to determine what is happening but its difficult to correlate some of the events.
What happens when a camera exposure is complete (assuming the agent is local, not on indigosky) ? And when is the next capture initiated? And how to read the progress bar in AI? Is it different in AG?

For example, I see delays at the end of the capture before the yellow light turns green, and sometimes I also see a delay between the green light and the start of the next capture, and yet again, I cannot correlate these status will image download or preview display. When do all these things happen? what is the sequence? EDIT: It looks like if capture is fast enough, like when using the simulator locally, the status light never turns green - maybe there needs to be a brief pause so the light can be seen?
JohanB

Re: Capture Process

Post by JohanB »

Hi,

Maybe this can helpful; https://bb.cloudmakers.eu/viewtopic.php?p=4529#p4529

It is a very small, 4 line script that logs all property changes of the important agents. It will give you the desired insight into what what's happening and in what order in real time. Hope this helps!
iMustBcrazy

Post by iMustBcrazy »

JohanB wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:34 am Hi,

Maybe this can helpful; https://bb.cloudmakers.eu/viewtopic.php?p=4529#p4529

It is a very small, 4 line script that logs all property changes of the important agents. It will give you the desired insight into what what's happening and in what order in real time. Hope this helps!
Thank you @JohanB, I’ll give it a try - hope I understand it!
Peter Polakovic

Post by Peter Polakovic »

The status light represents the state of CCD_EXPOSURE property if exposure is in progress and is blinking yellow if delay between exposures is set.

CCD_EXPOSURE is set to OK (green) when the image is downloaded from the camera and saved to the file and/or client is notified about the image. Download of the image over the network (in case of INDIGO Sky) is asynchronous on this.

A new exposure is started as soon as CCD_EXPOSURE is set to green (if no delay is set). It may happen, that if framerate is too high, not all frames are really downloaded for preview (because it is asynchronous), but all of them are saved (because it is synchronous).

In case of local driver CCD_EXPOSURE is green for a very short time, so you may not actually see it.
iMustBcrazy

Post by iMustBcrazy »

Peter Polakovic wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:38 pm The status light represents the state of CCD_EXPOSURE property if exposure is in progress and is blinking yellow if delay between exposures is set.

CCD_EXPOSURE is set to OK (green) when the image is downloaded from the camera and saved to the file and/or client is notified about the image. Download of the image over the network (in case of INDIGO Sky) is asynchronous on this.

A new exposure is started as soon as CCD_EXPOSURE is set to green (if no delay is set). It may happen, that if framerate is too high, not all frames are really downloaded for preview (because it is asynchronous), but all of them are saved (because it is synchronous).

In case of local driver CCD_EXPOSURE is green for a very short time, so you may not actually see it.
Hi Peter, the asynchronous preview made things difficult to follow but this makes sense. Thanks for the info. It'll help debug my rather flakey wifi - got a high gain antenna to help it but still working on that.
Peter Polakovic

Post by Peter Polakovic »

the asynchronous preview made things difficult to follow but this makes sense
Yes, I know. But image conversion and processing is much slower than just to save it. So if we want to support high framerates for planetary imaging this is the only way.

BTW, you can monitor it. If FPS value in the statusbar is black, all images are shown, if it is red, some are skipped.
iMustBcrazy

Post by iMustBcrazy »

Peter Polakovic wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:59 pm
BTW, you can monitor it. If FPS value in the statusbar is black, all images are shown, if it is red, some are skipped.
Oh cool - I'll check it out. Thanks!