M1 mac

Questions, bug reports, requests for enhancements, etc.
ThatsMyCoffee

M1 mac

Post by ThatsMyCoffee »

Just ordered a new laptop with the new M1 processor.

What do I need to know in regards to Cloudmakers software? Will it all work?
Peter Polakovic

Re: M1 mac

Post by Peter Polakovic »

All should work, applications are "dual-arch", I develop on M1 last year. Just if you want to use some drivers (e.g. ZWO or Atik), you have to run the application in Rosetta, because vendors didn't provide M1 libraries yet :(

Read this: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=606

It is much slower than running in native mode, but still not much slower than running on real intel :P Nevertheless, USB bandwidth looks much slower :(
iMustBcrazy

Post by iMustBcrazy »

ThatsMyCoffee wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 4:50 pm Just ordered a new laptop with the new M1 processor.

What do I need to know in regards to Cloudmakers software? Will it all work?
I bought the M1 MacBook Air a while ago and the switch was seemless. Enjoy!
ThatsMyCoffee

Post by ThatsMyCoffee »

Bloody thing is stuck in customs. Still waiting...
iMustBcrazy

Post by iMustBcrazy »

ThatsMyCoffee wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 3:06 pm Bloody thing is stuck in customs. Still waiting...
:( but its a great astro computer because it runs for so long on the battery - no wires for my setup. With AstroApps v4 , its even better since I can disconnect the laptop from indigosky. The only problem is that it doesn't get warm so dew builds up on it, so I have to operate from my car to protect it.
Peter Polakovic

Yes, the only what consumes some energy on M1 macbook is the display backlight :)
ThatsMyCoffee

Post by ThatsMyCoffee »

Of course, any new equipment brings clouds. :(
ThatsMyCoffee

Post by ThatsMyCoffee »

I'm amazed at how well the software works on the new mac. I had no idea how bad the old laptop was. Plate solving especially is a dream. 2, 3 seconds max. Before it could take up to a minute. What a change!!

I do find it annoying that when I change the usb port (I have 2, plus an adapter with 3 more), the equipment is not recognized. I have to rescan the ports and then update the address in each piece of software. Is there a better way to do this?
Peter Polakovic

I do find it annoying that when I change the usb port (I have 2, plus an adapter with 3 more), the equipment is not recognized. I have to rescan the ports and then update the address in each piece of software. Is there a better way to do this?
Whenever possible, the drivers are "plug & play" and it is more or less reliable for cameras and also HID devives. Unfortunately, it is hard to do for serial-over-USB devices. There is often no other way how to determine what's on the other side, just to open the device and to try to control it. In many cases it may be dangerous, so we don't do it :(

Peter
ThatsMyCoffee

Post by ThatsMyCoffee »

Understood. Obviously preventing damage takes priority.

In the Indigo control panel, we can 'refresh' and see a list of usb ports, so it seems that this is 'safe'. When A.I., A.G. or A.T. are no longer able to connect to equipment on a previously used port, would it be desirable to open a dialog box? Show available ports (like in the indigo panel) and allow the user to select which to use?

It's no different that what has to be done now, but it saves a few steps for the user.

Just to complicate things, I've also noticed that when I switch ports, the drivers (for zwo cameras) are no longer selected. Again, very minor issue. But annoying. :)

Thanks again for all your hard work.